Sunday, October 28, 2012

Serving God through Helping Animals

Ever since I was little, I've wanted a career in which I could serve God.  I thought to do this, I would have to get a job with a church or in the medical field to save lives.  But I've always been drawn to working with animals.  It is something that I am extremely passionate about.  But I thought for the longest time that this would not be serving God.  I wouldn't be working in a church.  I wouldn't be teaching the faith to others, would I?

Recently, while attending church, a Bible verse was read mentioned humans being in charge of animals.  I thought, if we are in charge of animals, isn't taking care of animals serving the Lord?  I began pondering this in the last weeks.  After talking with a good friend on the topic, she mentioned stewardship.  As per Webster's dictionary, stewardship is the conducting, supervising, or managing of something; especially the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care.  God put the animals that He has made in our care.  So, I realized that being a steward of animals is actually serving the Lord.

As I slowly come to the end of one career, I look forward to another with animals.  I am planning to go after a degree in animal behavior as well as animal care and management.  I am excited that I can serve God and do something that I am passionate about at the same time.  He has given me a love for animals and I am very blessed that I am able to use that passion to serve Him.  Like many other Christians, I have grown up being taught that I should live for God.  My day to day actions should be for Him and not myself or worldly things.  I should love and serve God always and not only when it is convenient for me to do so.  I am blessed that I can serve the Lord 360 through a career with animals as well as in daily life.  It is truly a blessing.

Right now, while I type, there is a hurricane coming up the coast and causing flooding in my area.  Yesterday, I prepared for the storm by taking care of my cats first.  I bought extra food for them, extra litter, water, prepared a safe place for them, and prepared for the possibility of evacuating with them.  I felt good about all of this because I realized that I am taking care of God's creatures.  He put me in charge as their steward and I am happy to take on the responsibilities that come with it.  I'm enjoying the new chapter that God has set out for me.  I'm excited to experience the new mindset that He has shown me.  And I'm maybe even more excited that with God, I can help give my beloved animals a good, enjoyable life.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, I came across this post as I'm searching for what God would have me do next. I'm currently a school music teacher, however as I get married in January 2015, my fiance and I have agreed for me to be part-time and take time to be more involved in more intentional ministry. I absolutely LOVE animals. I have owned many, volunteered at animal shelters and watching any type of family-friendly movie about an animal usually moves me to tears! So, I have been considering if perhaps there's a way I can serve God and do ministry that involves animals in some way... welcome your thoughts and to hear more about how God led you in your journey! (PS: becoming a vet is NOT an option - I am super squeamish!)

    ReplyDelete