Sunday, October 14, 2012

Trainer Mentality

This is something that is so often discussed and debated:  Which mentality (training theory) is the best one to use when training and living with dogs or animals in general?  There are different theories out there.  Some range from the handler or owner being the alpha pack leader to not having animals at all.  I'm finding that my mentality is a little odd to most people and it is sometimes hard to find people who think the same.  I feel as if the animal should be listened to and given a fair say.  I feel like a good leader is one who cares about the ones under his or her care.  This includes listening to their needs.  Now, what I am about to say may be very unpopular.  But as a woman of faith, I feel like God is loving and understanding to us as humans.  Shouldn't we treat all beings with the same respect?  God listens to us when we call for his help.  He understands our needs.  So, why not do the same for animals?  There is no need for me to yell at my dog.  There is no need for me to correct my dog for not doing what he or she is "suppose" to do.  I need to stop and find out why they aren't doing what I ask.  There is no reason for me to be quick to correct but slow to listen.  Granted, sometimes the dog just doesn't perform the cue because they just don't.  But there are other times when the dog doesn't perform the cue because of something in the environment, stress, etc.  I'm going to do my best to find out why the dog isn't performing the cue instead of correcting.

In Church about a week ago, the Bible verse read mentioned humans were in charge of animals.  I feel as if God would want us to show kindness, love and understanding towards them just as he does us.  This is a big part of my mentality on training and interacting with animals.  If God is understanding towards our needs, if he listens to what we have to say, why shouldn't I do the same for animals?  This means that I don't use punishment or corrections in any way.  I actually find them unnecessary.  It's not my job to scare an animal or punish it.  It's useless stress on me and the animal.  I find it to be a very rewarding experience to train in this manner.

Along the same lines, there is something about being a cat owner that everyone deals with: the cats jumping up on the table and kitchen counters.  Every cat owner I know hates this.  There are many ways that people come up with to prevent it:  spraying the cats with water, yelling, etc.  But yet the cats are home all day and can easily get on the counters/table when the owners are not around (unless locked in a room or out of the kitchen).  I find this to be extra stress for me and the cats.  So, they are allowed.  I've taught them a cue for "off" and it works quite well.  I wipe down the counters on a regular basis, especially before I cook.  It's only ended in one "bad" act on my cat's part.  One time, Harvey jumped up on the kitchen table and stuck his head right into my sister's cereal bowl in one graceful motion.  Luckily, she was done with it.  (It was actually quite amusing)  It's not something well accepted but it works for me.  I can live happily with my critters and I enjoy their "help" when I am doing work at the kitchen table.

No comments:

Post a Comment